Sunday, October 02, 2005

Various and sundry

We're watching a Xena: Warrior Princess marathon on Logo, a network dedicated to gay viewers. I always knew there was something special about those Gabriele-Xena bath scenes. Hey, I was just looking for the soap.
***
Maureen is hosting a 72-er at Writer's BBS. Kinda like the NFG 69-er, but with three more words. Click on over if you want to read; if you want to play, you'll need to join Writer's BBS, but hey, it's free.
***
I finished my first read-through-and-edit on my novel, The Brakan Correspondent. It took a while -- 651 single-spaced pages, and I can only get some decent editing time in on weekends. Now for the last step (I hope): I need to fix all the problems I've found on the first read-through. I'll be losing scenes, adding others, patching plot holes, axing evil wases, and replacing as many lame speaker attributions as I can with action tags. At the risk of sounding arrogant (of course, when has that ever bothered me?), I think this story is something special. I'm feeling confident an agent will pick this up and get it published. Will it make it into Paperback Writer's 2% that sell more than 5000 copies? Hey, right now I'm high enough on it that I can see it pushing LaHaye's Left Behind schlockfest off the shelves. Ya gotta dream big. D.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

651 pages? 651 single-spaced pages? What's that in words? 400,000 or so? That's getting into Peter F Hamilton territory, and look what Aspect did to his Night's Dawn trilogy (clue - how many books in a trilogy?) The good news is that it only takes a couple of copies to push a dozen lesser works off the shelf.

10/02/2005 12:43:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Current word count = 305,750

One of my bigger problems: I can see how to split it into two books, but not three.

Funny thing is, there's not a heck of a lot of filler here. Really!

10/02/2005 02:31:00 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

Great news, Doug!

10/03/2005 03:05:00 AM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Tsk, tsk, the girl in the Xena series is spelled Gabrielle, with two ll, not with one like my name. What were you thinking?

OK, I can guess what.

A 300K monster, wow. And isn't there this first drafty Karakorum one, too, and full as big? Good luck.

10/03/2005 08:17:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

I'm shocked, shocked Gabriele that you should know the proper way to spell Xena's costar's name. Have you been writing fan fiction?

As for Karakoram: it was a little over 100K words when I gave up on it. That baby sprawled like you wouldn't believe -- a product of inexperience, lack of discipline, etc. TBC is bad enough when it comes to multiplicity of story lines and characters; Karakoram was even worse. But thanks for asking.

10/03/2005 05:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home