Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Technical difficulties

This time, it wasn't my fault. Honest. I deleted a draft. A bloody draft. And then I added fiveandfour to my New Pals list, and then my blog crashed. I managed to figure out that my template had become horribly corrupted, so I've resurrected the blog, SORT OF, by refreshing the template. I lost all my sidebar stuff, but I knew that would happen. More worrisome: I can't get into the archives. I think I can fix that by republishing the whole blog. Anyway, what's the worst that can happen? You guys will need to drop me a quick note (in response to this message, for example) so that I can reconstruct my links.* I'm hopeful that Blogger will fix the problem. They fixed it before (and that time, I deleted the whole blog!)This should be a piece of cake, right? This experience has made me realize two things: 1. I've invested way too much of myself in this blog. It ain't healthy, I tell ya. 2. I need to SAVE THE TEMPLATE BEFORE MAKING CHANGES. Dumb shit. D. *As you can see, I have posted a new links list in exciting alphabetical order. If I've forgotten you, please SPEAK UP. If you would like a reciprocal link and you are not a Muffin, YOU SPEAK UP, TOO.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, let me the first to nag you to add Smart Bitches back on the sidebar, or else!

(Or else what?)

(Exactly!)

And don't forget all those links to Awesome Bits of Your Past, like your man-titty story.

Sorry to hear about your tussle with Blogger fuckiness.

9/27/2005 07:52:00 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't get how you can accidentally delete/crash your blog. I mean Blogger has all threse huge buttons that say "DELETE" and "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO CHANGE THIS?" Clearly it's possible, because nearly EVERYONE does so at some point. But I've had mine for 2.5 years and only once did I get a white screen - because I futzed with the wrong code (but I got it back pretty easily). Maybe I'm just not playing around with it enough.

Anyway, about that 2.5 years. Let me tell ya: investing yourself in your blog? Not unhealthy. Investing your sense of self-worth in a blog? Way unhealthy. There ya have my take on it.

9/28/2005 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

Ouch, I feel your pain. Luckily (for me) I noticed early on that constant tinkering with the template can cause problems, so I save each iteration in a text file on my hard drive so I can easily copy it back in if I need to, or if the latest thing I do causes it to crash, or, just for the hell of it, if I want to go back to the way it looked two months ago.

9/28/2005 05:44:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Um, Beth? What Invisible Lizard said. I was toodling with my template, and I must have mis-toodled. However, I did once delete the whole blog after I had been up for a month. I did that by clicking buttons without reading what I was clicking. I'm not kidding. It was that moronic.

9/28/2005 08:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew, glad to know it wasn't linking to me that brought it all crashing down. I'm currently learning all of these template-y thingies for myself and I'm industriously scribbling down all of these tips and ideas whenever I come across them.

9/28/2005 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a Science Fiction Humour weblog in possession of a rather minimal sidebar, must be in want of a link to Wenlock.

Bit of a bummer about losing everything - I visited the chaos last night and concluded that you had probably suffered a DDNS Attack of the Prairie Muffins.

Muffinism won't catch on this side of the Atlantic, partly because what we call muffins are not particularly exciting, and partly because most Brits associate the word with Muffin the Mule.

9/28/2005 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Gotcha, Stephen. Now, can anyone gimme the link to Snarkling Clean? I'm still missing that one.

9/28/2005 01:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home