One of the things that sucks about my profession: I catch every cold that comes into the office. If I were a podiatrist, I'd do just fine, since no one ever became ill from close exposure to little kids' feet*. But, no. I have to look up their goopy little noses, which brings me within firing range of their snot rockets. Yesterday evening, I developed that vague ache in my soft palate which heralds a cold. Now my neck is stiff, my nose is twitchy, and my brain is all marshmallowy. This makes blogging difficult. You may lower your expectations . . . now. What should I write about? I came up with a not-t00-bad idea: "All I really need to know I learned watching Rocky Horror Picture Show." With that idea came a single joke: "Eat your Meat Loaf." Not bad, but not great, since it presupposes a knowledge of the movie. Even if I pony up an image of Meat Loaf, some folks are gonna say, "Huh?" Cuz if you haven't seen the movie, it just ain't funny. So: that line of blog reasoning came to a dead end. I decided to free associate. I saw RHPS in 1980, my second year in college and my first year in the dorms. Dorm life makes me think of:
- Dale getting drunk and pissing in the hallway
- Dale getting drunk and pissing off the balcony
- Dale getting drunk and pissing everyone off
- Play fair.
- Clean up your own mess.
- Don't hit people.
- Share everything.
- Play fair. If you fill your roommates' room with crumpled newspaper, Eric, don't whine when you find out your prank lost them some important shit and you're responsible for the damages.
- Clean up your own mess. Oh, how I would love to say we ganged up on Dale and used his head as a mop to take care of that pissing-in-the-hallway stunt. Alas, we had to content ourselves with the fact that he flunked out after the first quarter.
- Don't hit people. Hit on them. And, oh, by the way, you know that bit about, "If you listen to a woman's bullshit until 2AM she'll have sex with you"? Ain't true. Jennifer, I think listening to you tell me at cracked-tooth-painful length how Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance changed your father's life was at least worth some tongue.
- Share everything, but please be aware that if your roommate is busy humping the gal from next door** -- five feet away from you -- he may take exception to this rule. Oh, and by the way, Joe. If she whimpers after you've finished, it is not a good sign. Let a Real Man satisfy her next time***.