Sunday, September 11, 2005

Review of Asimov's, December 2005

For you SF fans, my review of Asimov's December edition is up at Tangent. I've been kvetching to my editor, Eugie Foster, about having to read so much mainstream SF, but honestly, this issue rocked. Two superb stories, and I mean top drawer (Damian Kilby's "Earthtime", and James Maxey's "To the East, a Bright Star"), three good stories, and only one tale which required Mr. Snarkypencil. I liked Kilby's and Maxey's stories best because of their rich sense of humanity. Which is a poofy way of saying, they wrote about believable human beings and made me care about them. I'm a sucker for heartstring-tugs, and both stories gave me lots of the good stuff. Those two stories also gave me a better sense of what's wrong with my current short, "Renee". The damned thing lacks heart. I wrote it for one of Keith's 500 word challenges, so I'd had to cut back on everything. Minimal description, bare bones characterization, everything pared down to the core idea. It's a fine idea, but the story will be much better if I can give it a heart and soul. Back to the drawing board. D.

6 Comments:

Blogger Otter said...

I didn't have your e-mail, but I figured this could catch your attention.

Screw the Feds. Louisiana DHH will take your volunteer service for as long or short as you can give it. 225-769-5740.

You will never forget it!

9/11/2005 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Thanks, Otter. Louisiana DHH were the first folks I contacted. I'm still waiting to hear from them, but hell, it wouldn't hurt to call again!

Thanks, and best of luck to you.

9/11/2005 06:35:00 PM  
Blogger Pat J said...

What the heck is mainstream SF?

kldwi,

-pat

9/11/2005 09:54:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

I'll tell you what mainstream SF is if you tell me what klwdi stands for. Or was that your code word? Mine's eeptb, which is what the robot on Buck Rogers always used to say.

9/11/2005 10:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine's pnturrp which I guess is down to something I've eaten...

9/12/2005 12:27:00 AM  
Blogger teragoldonlinefsbest said...

It is a woderful news .I have to use more of these ideas.Thank for your post, i really love it. I will come again. Here useful link:Tera Gold cheap rs gold cheap wow gold Tera account

9/27/2011 02:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home