Friday, December 16, 2005

Review of Intergalactic Medicine Show premier

Top of the heap at Tangent Online, at least for the moment, is my review of Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show, an e-zine that features a short story by Card and seven other short stories. Highlight of this review: at long last, Eugie has had to take her red pen to my immortal words. She didn't like the word 'fugliest,' as in, The premier issue of Orson Scott Card’s Intergalactic Medicine Show features Card’s “Mazer in Prison,” seven other stories (some good, some not so good), and the fugliest Prairie Muffin ever to appear on SF cover art. . . . choosing instead the phrase, "most unappealing." Well, at least she kept "Prairie Muffin." Take a look at the cover, and tell me I'm wrong. I wish I could say I loved this collection, but I can't. It's a mixed bag, with three fine stories, and four that range from disappointing to [insert snarky adjective here]. Angry authors, feel free to leave your comments below. For those of you who came here expecting humor, all I have are two great links from this morning's YesButNoButYes (they're currently running a story about a teddy bear with a butthole): Santa Troubles: Claymation Santa's DUI. Woomba: 21st Century feminine hygeine. Enjoy. D.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

interesting review--actually it makes me wanna go out and buy the thing so it's hardly negative. How come you didn't do Orson's story?

SOOOoooo once you're published big time are you still going to do reviews? And if you do will you let yourself to way negative?

12/16/2005 04:38:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Hi, Kate. I don't like OSC's style, so I asked Eugie if I could skip that one, and she said that would be okay.

As for your second question, I'll cross that bridge when and if I come to it. I think I'll continue doing it as long as I find it a worthwhile experience.

Did you like the Woomba?

12/16/2005 04:56:00 PM  
Blogger Pat J said...

My word, that is one fugly prairie muffin. If indeed it's a muffin. Or, to quote Austin Powers: "That's a man, baby!"

Oh, PS: Done the "novel". If you want a look, it's at http://142.13.24.61/~johanneson/blog/index.php/nano.

-pat

12/16/2005 11:11:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Pat, Pat, Pat. You're jeopardizing your reputation as a Computer God. In blogger comments, these long URLs run off the edges. You need to link them appropriately.

I do want to read it, but I can't guarantee when I'll make it over there. Be patient with me, please.

12/17/2005 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Ah! Spoke too soon. Your link really does work.

12/17/2005 09:34:00 AM  
Blogger Pat J said...

I'm not so much a God as a demigod, I think. Maybe a Hero.

And yeah. Whenever you want to read it, go to it. I'll be working on other things -- like picking up on Earth Fleet again.

12/17/2005 01:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I liked "fugliest," but my professional editor hat kept getting tighter and tighter around my head until I changed it. I think it would've cracked my skull if I'd left it.

I think it was an excellent review, and not nearly as scathing as I had been led to expect.

12/18/2005 08:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home