Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Just a piece of paper

(Update from Blue Gal: "Posted this story to Daily Kos and immediately got 8 or 9 comments asking me to delete my post because CapitolBlue is not a reliable source, fwiw. Standing by my own comments, though." Guess we'll know in the next day or two if this story has legs.) Blue Gal, I don't know how you do it, but this story you've sniffed out is truly remarkable. From Doug Thompson's post (Capitol Hill Blue): GOP leaders told Bush that his hardcore push to renew the more onerous provisions of the [Patriot] act could further alienate conservatives still mad at the President from his botched attempt to nominate White House Counsel Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court.

“I don’t give a goddamn,” Bush retorted. “I’m the President and the Commander-in-Chief. Do it my way.”

“Mr. President,” one aide in the meeting said. “There is a valid case that the provisions in this law undermine the Constitution.”

“Stop throwing the Constitution in my face,” Bush screamed back. “It’s just a goddamned piece of paper!”

Be sure to read Thompson's whole story, as well as Blue Gal's commentary (both linked above). I've been too busy to see if Kos & the rest have picked this up yet, but . . . amazing, if true.

So . . . consider this story as a thoroughly unverified allegation. I'll yank it if the story falls through.

D.

5 Comments:

Blogger Fran / Blue Gal said...

I got it from Alicia.
http://lastleftb4hooterville.blogspot.com/2005/12/true-colors.html

12/14/2005 11:49:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Here's the link, folks.

12/14/2005 12:22:00 PM  
Blogger Fran / Blue Gal said...

Don't know why I can't link in blogger comments. Anyway, Technorati says 441 blogs have linked to the specific article, that doesn't count more general links, and CapitolBlue is still writing about it. So it's out there, not sure about Kos, though. I'll put it in my diary and see what happens.

12/14/2005 01:14:00 PM  
Blogger Fran / Blue Gal said...

Posted this story to Daily Kos and immediately got 8 or 9 comments telling me to delete my post and that CapitolBlue is not a reliable source, fwiw. I'll be adding this to my own blog post. Standing by my own comments, though.

12/14/2005 01:44:00 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

yeah, I've heard that capital hill blue isn't as reliable as it could be. (My first thought was only a bunch o' liberals would even care about reliability. Don't see OReilly giving a damn about that kind of detail. Did you see this Plano story?)

So did you call your senator about the Patriot act today?

12/14/2005 01:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home