Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Harry Potter spoilers.

I saw the new Harry Potter movie last night* and I'm sad to say, yes, religious fundamentalists have a legitimate gripe on this one. The scene in which Harry and Ron kidnap newborn twin girls from Brighton, take them to Stonehenge, and sacrifice them to "the Dark Lord" went a wee bit over the top. Add to that the scene in which Professor Snape tells the Archbishop of Canterbury, "Your God is dead, you silly, silly man," and I think we're seeing some definite antireligious bias. Of course, the ire of the religious right might have more to do with the now famous date rape scene in which Harry waves his wand over Hermione, incanting the magic words, "Damnitall Rohypnol!" But I choose to interpret that scene somewhat differently than most viewers. Did you notice that Hermione winked at the camera when Harry cast his spell? In this viewer's opinion, this lent the scene a delicious ambiguity. The fact that Witchcraft played in the background also suggests Hermione's complicity -- and we all know who the most 'talented' witch at Hogwarts is, don't we? The love scene itself was the epitome of tameness, but do you expect more than tongues in a PG-13 movie? I think not. In any case, the story has been building up to this point, and I'm happy to see Harry get a little satisfaction, especially considering the fact he dies at the end of the movie. Oh -- I almost forgot: Warning! Spoilers! Technorati tag: , D. *Not strictly accurate. Actually, I saw that "Harry Potter" had top billing on the Technorati hit parade, and realized wistfully how long it had been since my last spell of Technorati whoredom.

8 Comments:

Blogger THIS! Christine said...

Sigh. I miss you Mr. Squee.

X

11/22/2005 01:15:00 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

Funny, I asked some mothers (whom I know are catholics) whether it is suitable for my seven year old - no one mentioned those things, just that there's a 'p*ss off' in it, and Harry's naked in the bath. Oh, and my son's catholic school organised a promo showing on Friday night!!

(maybe us Brits don't take these things seriously enough ;o))

11/22/2005 01:17:00 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

Doh, just reread!! Open my mouth, and what happens...

11/22/2005 01:20:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Jona, you know me . . . you should really know better.

Okay, X, explain Mr. Squee. I googled it, and I'm none the wiser.

11/22/2005 04:49:00 PM  
Blogger THIS! Christine said...

Squee is... well I'm not sure how to describe it without coming off as some raging stalker chick, or worse-- incredibly gushing. Squee is delight. (both a sound and a feeling LOL).
It's why your blog is the first one I come to, and why, lately I've been missing my blog whoring ways.

Now please, just let me go back to being a fan girl without all these embarrassing (for both of us) explanations.

X

11/22/2005 07:27:00 PM  
Blogger Razlan said...

Goodness! For a moment I wanted to kill you for such outrageous "review" of GOF. LOL. Here's mine, and another one on why Harry ruled the box office this year.

11/23/2005 08:13:00 AM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

You know, that Harry Potter would be something I'd watch.

11/23/2005 10:34:00 AM  
Blogger Pat J said...

As the Red Hot Chili Peppers so eloquently (and, apparently, prophetically) put it,

"Blood sugar baby, she's magic
Blood sugar baby, sex magic"

11/23/2005 02:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home