Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Harriet Miers has a blog, Michelle Duggar fulfills her destiny yet again, & more linkage

File this under: Damn, why didn't I think of that first? I've been pissing myself laughing for the last half hour reading the Harriet Miers blog. For you non-Americans, Harriet Miers is Dubya's most recent pick for U.S. Supreme Court Justice. Her main qualification seems to be her near total lack of qualifications. But who knew she had a blog? Elsewhere in the political humor realm: Jurassic Pork has hatched a great meme in today's President Magoo post. Bush as Magoo: blindness explains a great deal. JP's Assclowns of the Week (yesterday's post) is a fine read, too. Note to any newbies: I'm a Berkeley boy, and my political leanings are a bit to the left of Ted Kennedy. If you're at the opposite end of the spectrum, don't bother to follow those links. It'll only piss you off. The next ones are filed under: Hey, that ain't funny, that's serious! My beloved added to her blog last night with Burning Bush (sorry, no sexual double entendres there). Last but not least, if any of you haven't checked out Jeff Huber's blog Pen and Sword, today's post is excellent: Taking Back Our Country.
***
I'm not feeling terribly creative tonight. I had to run in to the hospital at 3:30 AM to take care of an emergency, so I'm feeling a wee bit post-call. I really really hope my patient doesn't give me a repeat performance tonight, for her sake and mine.
***
Today is Yom Kippur. There's a Jewish concept, pikuakh nefesh, which means "to save a soul". It's a great loophole for doctors. It means we can work on holidays and the Sabbath if we're saving lives, because life is more important than the law (which is to say, The Law). If you're a regular here, you know what a half-assed Jew I am. While I might be able to justify working on Yom Kippur, I can't justify fressing all day. It would take a lawyer of Talmudic proportions to claim I had to eat those coconut-covered brownies to keep up my strength, right? Right. Half-assed or full-assed, I'm aware of the holiday nonetheless, and atonement is on my mind. I'd thought about blogging on my inability to let go of grudges, which I suspect is one of my nastier sins. I may still do that some day soon. Consider it a belated Yom Kippur post. For now, I'm more focused on eating dinner, waiting the requisite three hours, and then going to sleep.
***
Have I mentioned that I'm thinking of NaNoWriMoing? I'd like to blame it on peer pressure, but to be truthful, I'd rather be writing new stuff than editing my BFN (Big Fat Novel, which sounds a whole lot less stuck-up than magnum opus). Anyone else doing the NaNoWriMo shuffle? We ought to cheer each other on.
***
Michelle Duggar, she of the iron uterus, popped today. Remember the Duggars? Johanna Faith Duggar is number sixteen. From the Seattle Post Intelligencer article (Intelligencer. WTF kinda word is that?): "Their children include two sets of twins, and each child has a name beginning with the letter "J": Joshua, 17; John David, 15; Janna, 15; Jill, 14; Jessa, 12; Jinger, 11; Joseph, 10; Josiah, 9; Joy-Anna, 8; Jeremiah, 6; Jedidiah, 6; Jason, 5; James, 4; Justin, 2; Jackson Levi, 1; and now Johannah." Look carefully at that list: Janna, Joy-Anna, Johannah. They're not even trying to come up with unique J names for their girls. Reminds me of our friend Kira, who used to call her parents "parental units". I think the Duggars need to be honest and call their daughters "reproductive unit [number]", in which case Johanna Faith is reproductive unit 6. Oops, I mean 7. I forgot Mrs. Duggar -- she's not done yet! D,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

damn, this is a scary world. some of those harriet comment were from people who think that's the real HM.

10/12/2005 07:00:00 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Just had #16? Shoot me. Shoot me now. :O

And NaNo, NaNo to you, too, my friend. Romance with a body count seems to be my usual thing, long before it was "hot." But by the time I get the blasted thing written, never mind submitted, it will probably be cold again.

10/12/2005 08:15:00 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

Can you imagine the rows and tears on valentines day when just one card arrives addressed to J. Miers ;o)

10/13/2005 02:20:00 AM  
Blogger Jona said...

I meant J. Duggar! It was early for me!

10/13/2005 04:04:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

How about when Cleetus shows up at the door and says, "Aw, shucks. I cain't choose. I'll just marry all o' you."

10/13/2005 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger Sabine said...

Wouldn't Cleetus say All y'all?

I'm just trying to keep my Mercanism up-to-date.

10/13/2005 01:10:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Damn it, Maureen, why do you always have to be right?

10/13/2005 01:41:00 PM  
Blogger Sabine said...

Shouldn't that be dammit, Maureen...?

10/13/2005 05:03:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Dammit
Janet
I love you!


And that really dates me.

10/13/2005 06:57:00 PM  
Blogger Suisan said...

Hey Berkeley Boy. I'm NaNoing too...
And I'm terrified.

Suisan in the Bay Area

10/13/2005 10:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home