Monday, September 05, 2005

Other kinds of donations

My thanks go to Beth for the idea of sending much needed supplies to aid the refugees. I did some web surfing and found this website for the Baton Rouge Area Foundation. A moment ago, I spoke with a woman there, who told me the following items are much needed (in no particular order): Toothbrush, toothpaste Soap Water Deodorant Diapers Feminine hygiene products Baby formula Underwear Towels Blankets Contributions should be clearly marked "Katrina Disaster Relief". Here's the address and phone number: Salvation Army 7361 Airline Highway Baton Rouge, LA 70805 (225) 355-4483 The link above (to BRAF) has information for a number of other agencies who are accepting material donations. I would encourage you to call first and find out what they need. Nothing wrong with monetary donations, of course (we contributed to the National Food Bank), but somehow this feels more helpful. Probably an irrational impulse, but it wouldn't be my first. D.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

hey lookie at me! I broke a real story. Sort of. Okay, so a few other newspapers did first. But still....

Off to have a life.

9/05/2005 02:18:00 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, thanks really go to Laura, but anyway. There's something about sending actual stuff that distrustful people like me prefer. I know the Red Cross and many, many other organizations are reputable and put the money to excellent use - but still there's this little part of me that prefers to send material goods, because I say to myself, "This way I KNOW where my money is going."

And the way I see it, there's nothing wrong with giving cash AND sending stuff.

Thanks for digging up the info on the Salvation Army in need!

9/05/2005 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Thanks all around, folks. I agree, Beth. And the woman at the Salvation Army office didn't ONCE suggest that I send money instead. They want water and toilet paper, for heaven's sake!

9/05/2005 04:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home