Saturday, January 21, 2006

Various and Sundry

The lovely and Demented Michelle is giving away two signed copies of Maureen McHugh's Mothers and Other Monsters. Hurry on over and throw your name into the virtual hat. Thanks to Blue Gal for cluing me in that the faux Alan Rickman and Mel Gibson now have competition from the Pope himself. Go, Joey the Ratz! Think I'll ask Professor Snape to go say hi, and Bare Rump, too, if she's up to it. (Note added: done and done. They both replied to His Holiness's Holy Sweat post.) In the last few days, Fanatic Cook has written several fine posts about the value of omega-3 fatty acids and the hazards of getting them from fish, mercury levels in fish and shellfish, and alternate sources of omega-3s. Since one of my New Years resolutions is to lose weight and eat healthier, I greatly appreciated Fanatic's posts. As long as I'm in "public service announcement" mode, please be on the lookout for the following wanted criminal. If you decide to attempt a citizen's arrest, please be warned: he doesn't go anywhere without a small army of dark-suited thugs. From glassgiant.com. D.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cheney08 said...

The Pope to which you refer is not the True Pope. A satirical version, perhaps. There is only one true pope, and his name is Jesus. iesus.

1/22/2006 08:06:00 AM  
Blogger Bix said...

You flatter me.

BTW, thanks for your questions. They provide motivation for me to gab endlessly about food, something I love to do.

1/22/2006 08:37:00 AM  
Blogger Sabine said...

Doug - thanks for the omega3 link. I want an update about how you like your juicer, and what one you bought.

1/22/2006 11:04:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Mel: thanks for the hot tip.

Fanatic: no problem. I appreciate your well thought-out posts on nutrition, and your recipes are always reliable.

Maureen: I think the brand is "Juicemaster". I'm fine as long as I stick a whole lemon into it. Ginger didn't work so well for me. Also, last night's collard green cocktail was blech. My favorite (aside from fruit juice, naturally) remains the gazpacho special: lemon, cucumber, green onion, tomatoes, carrots, and cilantro. Very yummy.

1/22/2006 11:38:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

Thanks for the link to Fanatic Cook. I'm trying to eat healthier, exercise, etc. too. I don't like any seafood. Tried fish oil caplets worse but that dreaded fish burp taste was gross. I take flax seed oil capsules instead. That Omega-6/3 ratio Fanatic mentions is confusing, but I never use margarine, always use olive oil, and rarely eat prepacked crackers. Maybe I'll be ok.

1/23/2006 06:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home