Friday, January 20, 2006

Thursday Thirteen, a day late

Thirteen Things about Doug
1. For as long as I can remember, I have had difficulty distinguishing Thursday from Friday. 2. I also had trouble telling my left from my right. My usual response was, "What difference does it make?" Fortunately, I learned the difference before becoming a surgeon. 3. I named my first frog Cyrus Molybdenum. 4. By the end of third grade, I had memorized the symbols for all of the chemical elements (103, at the time). Despite this Badge of Extreme Geekdom, I still had lots of friends. 5. My grandfather, a Polish immigrant, claimed he'd been born with horns. He often showed me the scars. He also claimed he kept a monkey in the attic, but would never let me see him. 6. Pre-1970, my favorite film was Mysterious Island. I can imitate giant bee noises to this very day. 7. At age two, I developed my first crush on an older woman. She was six, and I kept losing to her when we played King of the Hill. She wouldn't let me stand at the top of the hill, ever. Bitch. 8. The first dirty joke I ever learned was the Gomer Pyle joke. Gomer: Daisy Mae, can I put my finger in your belly button? Daisy Mae: Why, sho you may, Gomer! Dramatic pause. Daisy Mae: Gomer! That ain't my belly button! Gomer: Well, surprise, surprise! That ain't my finger! Yes, the exclamation points are all necessary. 9. In the early years of elementary school, with the Apollo missions all the rage, I wanted to be an astronomer when I grew up. Astronaut was the conventional response. Later, after I'd read a bit of science fiction, I decided I wanted to be a cryobiologist. Nobody knew what that word meant, and that was cool. 10. I used to fantasize about the Men in Black long before it became fashionable. Sinister men in dark suits and sunglasses would appear one day in our school's auditorium and whisper things to our principal. He would say, "Doug Hoffman? Can you come to the front of the room?" and I would comply. "These men say you're extremely important to our nation's security," he'd say quietly to me. "They want you to leave with them." And I'd say, "Heck, yeah!" This was well before the era of extreme rendition. 11. I also had sexual fantasies long before I knew a thing about sex. In one, I stood on a pier and noticed that the Girl of My Dreams was drowning. I jumped off the pier, rescued her, and carried her dripping body back to shore. She would revive in my arms and say, "Oh, you are so special." The End. The fact that I didn't know how to swim never entered into it. I was special, after all. 12. I haven't wet the bed since age two, I never set fires, and I never tortured any animals, large or small (unless you count tormenting red ants). I am thus better qualified to be President than George W. Bush. 13. And yet I have never, ever fantasized about becoming President of the United States.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

D.

5 Comments:

Blogger THIS! Christine said...

Damn you! I had to check to see if it was Thursday or Friday. Thanks for messing with my head.

X

word verification egzorsv (sounds like a great name for the spider/reptile/bug king)

1/20/2006 01:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The surprise! surprise! was on me when I grew up and realized there was no way Gomer would ever be asking a lady that question about poking.

1/20/2006 05:03:00 PM  
Blogger Cheney08 said...

It looks like "Mel's" lawyers have backed off--they pulled a boner! The Canadians are next.

1/20/2006 06:40:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Woo hoo! Good to know there's still a First Amendment in this country. I'll let Rickman know.

Of course, this could just mean that "Mel" is coming after you personally!

1/20/2006 08:02:00 PM  
Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

My first frog was Renee Richards (after the tennis player who had the sex change). Some smartass in a pre-med zoo' class named my frog while I was out--said the long legs reminded him of me.

I didn't think to ask if he thought I'd had a sex change. Probably best. I have no sense of humor.

1/21/2006 02:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home