Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Support Jill Carroll

I'd like to follow Blue Gal's lead and ask that you all give some thought (and prayer, if you're so minded) to the plight of kidnapped American reporter Jill Carroll. As the Christian Science Monitor reports, the Muslim community has been vocal in their support for Ms. Carroll: A delegation from the Council on American-Islamic Relations arrived in Baghdad Saturday, adding its voice to what is described as an unprecedented outpouring of Muslim support for the release of American reporter Jill Carroll.

"The kidnapping of Jill Carroll does not benefit the kidnappers," said Nihad Awad, executive director of the Washington-based group that represents US mosques and Islamic associations. "She has been friendly and respectful of the Iraqi people, not an enemy," he added.

I don't think Blue Gal will mind if I shamelessly steal the rest of her post:

So here is my idea. Tell your blog readers you support Jill Carroll and link to the Monitor, just like I did. That's it. Not too dramatic but drama is not what we need or want right now, no matter how much it might serve the interests of the 24/7 news universe. Update: one reader had another good idea--to link to one of Jill's own articles. A leader of Hamas called for her release today. The Muslims are united on this. Amazing.

Let's keep Jill Carroll in the forefront of our web-consciousness until she is released. Thanks!

D.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fran / Blue Gal said...

I'm gonna hafta move you from "bloglines subs" to "fobg". xoxoxo

1/24/2006 10:42:00 AM  
Blogger Shelbi said...

I blogged about it, and included links to you and blue gal.

And I am inclined to pray, so I did, and am.

I wish I could do more, though.

1/24/2006 01:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home