Monday, January 30, 2006

Samuel Alito got me out of bed this morning

. . . at 6 AM. I guarantee you, if I had set the alarm for 6 with the intention of spending an hour editing, or perhaps working out at the gym, I'd have groaned, turned over, and gone back to sleep. Nope, it took Sam Alito to motivate my ass out of bed. Something strange is happening inside my head; the neurons are rearranging themselves, like one of those old mosaic puzzles where you had to scoot squares around in order to unscramble the choo-choo train. I'm becoming more political. Yeah, I've written political posts, I've donated to lefty causes and campaigns, and I've even emailed my representatives in the past, but nothing compares to the all-out blitz against Alito that I -- we -- took part in over the weekend. Sure, we lost, but we picked up 23 votes against cloture that we didn't have when this all started. We know who our friends are, and we know who the Vichy Dems are, too. We have some sense of the clout we can wield as citizens of the net. And we did it all without support from the established liberal groups, like People for the American Way. Quote from Kos: But say what you will about blogs and the netroots, we are not effective organizers for this type of large-scale effort, with an opposition wielding tens of millions of dollars. That we got this much accomplished in the fact of that is simply incredible. And a rallying cry from Meteor Blades that, I swear to you, brought tears to my eyes (but then, I cry watching sitcoms, too): . . . But a battle is not a war. And, disappointing as it was, and as devastating as Alito's tenure on the court may turn out to be, giving up is simply not an option.

No matter what the odds, and no matter how few of our elected representatives we can count on to stand with us on this matter, and a hundred others, we have to keep up the fight. The war against Big Brotherization is as crucial as that for abolition, for women's suffrage, for civil rights.

In every case, the warriors in those wars suffered immense setbacks, repeatedly so, and found it hard to get the politicians to speak up and stand up for them. Eventually, however, because they refused to surrender, and because they took the fight beyond the electoral arena, they won.

We will, too.

Read the whole thing. One more inspirational link -- Jane, at firedoglake: We shook things up. Oh, yeah.
***
It may sound weird to you, but I finally feel like a citizen of this country. The other day, my son asked my wife -- and I'm paraphrasing here, cuz I wasn't present for the discussion -- whether we were just watching the world go to hell, or whether we were trying to do something to change it. It feels good to show him that we do more in this family than write checks to politicians, Amnesty International, and the ACLU. I don't think this is a flash in the pan, either. I keep popping over at my favorite political blogs, looking for marching orders. I've already pledged money and phone-calling time to Ned Lamont, the one dude who looks like he has a chance to unseat Windbag Lieberman in the primary. I'm angry. I want to do more. And I'm not alone.
***
Yeah, yeah. I know I promised you more self-esteem BS yesterday, but I'm not sure anyone cares about that but me. Right now, I'm having a hard time firing myself up over what used to be one of my pet peeves, since I'm too fired up about other things. Off topic: go say hi to Balls and Walnuts's newest friend, Mark Hoeschletter, an 82-year-old gentleman who just began blogging less than one week ago. Today, Mark has some important words for the young people of today. Finally, my apologies to all of you in the blogosphere whom I haven't visited this week. I'll do better, I promise. D.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

oh LORDY LORD, you have got to track down tonight's jon stewart if you didn't see it. The media deals with James Frey's lies vs. Bush's lies. It's so perfect.

It's been a year to wake up. I was relatively mild about my politics until Katrina. Now I chew on broken glass and howl at the moon.

1/30/2006 08:11:00 PM  
Blogger Shelbi said...

I've been waking up to life in general lately, including the area of politics.

I'm completely shocked that I woke up with 'Democrat leanings' when I distinctly remember going to sleep a Republican!

I'm still getting my mind around the fact that what I thought was true about Democrats and Republicans was mostly false. I have SO much research to do to figure out what's real, my head is spinning.

I read a letter from Dr. Dobson yesterday about Alito, and he went on and on about what a good judge he was, and how sympathetic he is to conservative Christians. What frustrated me, though, is that he never even brought up the fact that Alito believes that the president should have more power than the other two branches of government.

That belief alone scares the hell out of me, because unchecked power is bad, bad, BAD. That belief alone was reason enough to keep him out.

I have a horrible feeling that the other stuff [the stuff that appeals to the conservatives] is a smokescreen to distract the masses from the true hidden agenda.

I don't think Alito and W. give a shit about unborn babies or the 'eroding of traditional family values.' They just want power. Ultimate Power [with a capital P]

I'm getting all 'conspiracy theory,' here, aren't I?

I posted about politics last night [well, actually I just rambled on and on and vented and didn't make much sense, but that happens to me from time to time... I rather suspect it's happened here, so I'll just stop now, except I am interested in your self-esteem posts, so if you wanna talk about that some more, you'll have at least one person who will read it. Okay, I'm done now.]

1/30/2006 09:08:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Kate, yup, me too. Katrina really was the wake-up call. And yes, I saw Jon Stewart. Maybe we can get Bush to go on Oprah.

Shelbi, conspiracy theory? If so, we share the same one -- that all Bush cares about is power. He and the religious right have been using each other. It's a filthy, filthy relationship because people are dying for it, by the tens of thousands.

I'll come back to the self-esteem issue. If nothing else, I have a funny story to close with, and I've never been one to waste a funny story.

1/30/2006 09:28:00 PM  
Blogger crystal said...

Doug, you have to come to the politics forum more often and srgue with Scott - I'm afraid he's turning into a republican :-(

1/31/2006 01:07:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Oy, Crystal, you expect me to argue with a lawyer? I'm hopeless. I can't even win an argument with my son.

But, I guess this is a skill I may have to develop.

1/31/2006 07:53:00 AM  
Blogger Shelbi said...

Sorry, Doug.

I forget that I don't have to moderate or soften my comments against the current administration when I'm here.

I only know one Democrat in real life, and she lives an hour and a half away from me, so any time I say anything against Bush & co, I get really strange looks from people around here.

What is really frustrating for me is that I love these people, and they have no clue that they're supporting an administration that ultimately couldn't care less about them [we're mostly poor or lower middle class in my group of friends].

They've fallen for the "I'm a Christian and my every move is governed by God, so you can trust me," line of crap, so they just believe whatever he and his spin doctors say.

They just assume that anything a Democrat says is propaganda and whatever Republicans say is the Gospel Truth.

They've gotten so hung up on abortion laws and marriage laws, that they've totally missed the fact that Bush is a freaking Nazi in other areas that infringe on their rights, too.

So anyway, I spend most of my time in, "Trying to bring the facts without pissing everyone off," mode, and that spills over wherever I am, even in cyberspace.

1/31/2006 08:58:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Shelbi, we call that the "Coochy coochy coo! Look at the sweeeet, furry white bunny! Look at the bunny, coochy coochy coo! Who's a sweet baby? You are!" tactic.

South Park did it best in their Chinpokoman (spelling?) episode. Whenever the Japanese ambassadors were questions as to their motives, they would praise the Americans for their large penises. The subject would change, and no one would press the issue further.

Bush, instead of complimenting American men on their large penises, claims to channel God's will, and rails on about abortion, sanctity of life, gay marriage, yatta yatta yatta. Look at the pretty bunny.

1/31/2006 11:46:00 AM  
Blogger THIS! Christine said...

I love this shit!

X

2/01/2006 10:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home