Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Why I love Harper's: Full text of new Iraq story

I've long been a fan of Harper's Magazine, the last bastion of unapologetic liberalism. For their November 7 issue, they've posted full text of Sam Smith's story, Revision Thing, A history of the Iraq war told in lies. This story is faithful to its name: It was absolutely clear that the number-one threat facing America was from Saddam Hussein. We know that Iraq and Al Qaeda had high-level contacts that went back a decade. We learned that Iraq had trained Al Qaeda members in bomb making and deadly gases. The regime had long-standing and continuing ties to terrorist organizations. . . . You couldn't distinguish between Al Qaeda and Saddam when you talked about the war on terror. The story is a chilling reminder of our government's mendacity. The sheer weight of all of these lies lumped together in one place would sway even those furthest right on the political balance beam. Ah, if only they were reading. That's one of Harper's problems: preaching to the converted. Smith concludes: There's no doubt in my mind when it's all said and done, the facts will show the world the truth. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind. D. Tags: , .

6 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

other thing about Harpers? great bathroom reading

suscriber for a gazillion years,
Kate

11/08/2005 07:17:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Yup. How do you think I found out about the anal bleachings at Hollywood spas?

11/08/2005 08:21:00 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Has nothing to do with your post, but I left you a present on my blog.

11/08/2005 10:21:00 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I'm hopping around the political blogs while I wait for everything to download on my new hard drive.

Here's an interesting one from blondesense
http://blondesense.blogspot.com/2005/11/we-have-met-bush-and-bush-is-us.html

and here's another

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/2005_11_06_digbysblog_archive.html#113144239092086695

and now I have to load another word disk and thanks for letting me hang out and kill time while listening to the thing go tick tick tick. . .

11/09/2005 10:13:00 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

No words.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/11/9/174518/797

11/09/2005 05:48:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Oy, Kate, I read that one this evening, too. Shameful.

11/09/2005 10:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home