Thursday, July 07, 2005

Brazil

Since I'm not quite as big a jerk as I make out sometimes, I'm not going to bother tagging this one for Technorati. It's not like I have anything original to say about the London bombings, nor useful, nor insightful. Instead, I'll give you one trite thought, and one remembrance. The trite thought: as the Chinese curse goes, we live in interesting times. Lucky us. The remembrance: my thoughts keep returning to the movie Brazil. With its depictions of urban terrorism and government oppression, Brazil seems more prophetic than ever -- perhaps even more than 1984. And I'm wondering if there's any way out of this mess. Seems we're only managing to dig a deeper hole -- and we're all in this hole, every single one of us. D.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess we can all but don our tin hats and hope things settle down. I live in a city, and I'm often telling my wife to keep alert. But how do you look out for suicide bombers on buses and bombs in dark tunnels?

It's odd to think of so many deaths today but wonder if we got off lightly. Anyone who's ridden the underground at rush hour knows there are many thousands of people down there at any one time. I'm amazed there weren't thousand of fatalities...

7/07/2005 01:15:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

I was wondering that as well -- but I don't know how to say it without sounding callous. It seems to me the disaster could have been far, far worse.

7/07/2005 02:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home