Friday, December 30, 2005

Breakfast links

I'm just making myself more depressed. Media Matters has posted its Most Outrageous Statements of 2005. My favorite: Focus on the Family founder and chairman James C. Dobson: Same-sex marriage would lead to "marriage between daddies and little girls ... between a man and his donkey." What's your favorite? Heart-sickening-to-the-core: This Modern World discusses the latest torture memos (via Atrios); the General captures the rot at the apple's core with a single image. My favorite Guerilla Woman from Tennessee has reprinted in full today's Op-Ed piece from Paul Krugman. Here's the punchline: A year ago, most Americans thought Mr. Bush was honest. A year ago, we didn't know for sure that almost all the politicians and pundits who thundered, during the Lewinsky affair, that even the president isn't above the law have changed their minds. But now we know when it comes to presidents who break the law, it's O.K. if you're a Republican. To my US readers: write your Representatives and Senators. Use those links at the top of my sidebar -- it's easy. And don't let 'em set cookies. After that nauseating dive into today's news (and I haven't even checked Kos yet), I need a little recharge. Here is a World of Warcraft Broadway show tune for y'all. The graphics stink, but the music rocks. And if that doesn't do it for you, check out the latest photos from Antarctica. Oh, my! Mel Gibson has a blog. Gabriele, I'm counting on you to correct his Latin. Now, if you'll all please excuse me while I go put a knife in my gut . . . D.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Doug, this blog can't be serious, can it?

12/30/2005 01:12:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Donahue said...

Well, it's a quote from a complete nobody, but embodies a mind-set that just makes me crazy.

From a far-right-wing blog that I stumbled over from a link on Kos or something:

The major problem with the Left today is that they're so disconnected from reality. ... The main reason why they're like that is because they live in an echo chamber. They surround themselves with fellow travellers who all shout the party line without thought, and they get a great deal of positive feedback if they respond in kind.

[Liberals bloggers] just tapped into that. Most of the people who leave comments are just there to write the most amazingly vile, hate filled screeds you can imagine.


Seriously, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

12/30/2005 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger Jona said...

Love the Antarctica photos, have bookmarked!

12/30/2005 03:40:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Gabriele, Mel's blog is of the same ilk as Harriet Miers' blog and Madonna's blog. Why can't I think up gags like that? (Hmm. I wonder if anyone had thought to do George Bush's blog yet.)

Jim, I can't remember the psych term is for that. Projection, I think.

Jona -- yup. He doesn't update often, but when he does, it's always a worthwhile experience.

12/30/2005 05:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home