Wednesday, November 30, 2005

NaNoWrapUp

What I learned after 50,000+ words: 1. It took me 47,000 words to figure out what my story was about, 2. 32,000 words (or so) to realize I had no villain, and 3. the first 1,666 words to see that this whole thing was, indeed, possible. On the one hand, I increased my average productivity fourfold. On the other, the quality isn't comparable to The Brakan Correspondent . . . but Get Well Soon isn't total crap, either. My favorite bit so far: when my villain asks my protagonist the rhetorical question, "Do I look like an asshole?" my protagonist (who isn't human, but has a fondness for synthetic human prostitutes -- cyborgs, essentially) thinks to himself that he had seen his share of assholes, they really were quite cute, and, no, this fellow wasn't half as goodlooking as your average asshole. That should give you an idea of the overall caliber of this story ;o) A fun, clever, and exciting finish eludes me, but even with TBC, I didn't have all the details worked out until the very end. D.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

DOUG! Doug! DOUG!
This has nothing to do with what you wrote but it's so entirely YOU, dude.

READ this at once. Heck erase this comment and blog about it.
http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/the_ladies_already_knew_about_our_lack_of_course/

and don't forget to hit the little skull and cross bones on the left side so you can get the translation. arrrr

11/30/2005 09:11:00 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Bugger! It doesn't seem to work.
I have to, absolutely MUST try again...


http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/the_ladies_already_knew_about_our_lack_of_course/

11/30/2005 09:13:00 AM  
Blogger Pat J said...

Glad to hear you finished. I've hit the 50K mark too, last night, and now I just have to wrap up the story. There's going to have to be some heavy editing on my tale, but if you want a first-draft look at it, I'm still up for a trade.

11/30/2005 09:30:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Kate, I really need to teach you how to put hyperlinks into comments. These always run over, so I have to wait until I can check my email. Maybe I can find it at Pharyngula.

Pat: send away. I'll send you mine (which I guess is about 2/3 finished @ 50K ... but you'll probably love it or hate it in the first 5K words) later today.

11/30/2005 10:59:00 AM  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

Congrats! Well done, you make it look easy.

I'll be hunched over my laptop tonight playing catch-up.

11/30/2005 02:24:00 PM  
Blogger Paul Abbamondi said...

Congrats on finishing! I did as well though it needs to go through a heavy editing process before it could even be termed a "first draft."

12/01/2005 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Congrats on finishing.

And no, don't ask about my wordcount. ;-)

12/01/2005 10:27:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Thanks, y'all ;o)

12/01/2005 10:04:00 PM  
Blogger MC Etcher said...

Doug, you don't appear to have an email address posted! How can I send you your NaNoWriMo winnings?

Of course, you and I will just be swapping the same amount of money, so it seems a bit silly... Let me know!

12/06/2005 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger devin said...

https://freegiveawaysonlineblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/13/best-hacks-to-get-free-robux-in-roblox-2019/
https://freegiveawaysonlineblog.wordpress.com/2019/07/13/best-hacks-to-get-free-robux-in-roblox-2019/
https://abccom3.odoo.com/blog/our-blog-1/post/free-xbox-live-codes-generator-2019-online-1

7/21/2019 08:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home