Tuesday, October 18, 2005

This is important!

Act now or risk losing everything!
Two contestants are over the word limit: LingualX (205) and d. (291). If you want to be eligible for the vote, please respond to this post with the edited version of your entry.
Help a CSS idiot
For the contest, I want to use Blogger's "Read More!" feature (expandable post). I've followed the instructions, but it's putting the "Read More!" blurb on all my posts. THIS IS NOT DESIRABLE. The FAQ makes it look like I can decide which posts have the "Read More!" What am I doing wrong? For now, I'm going to change my "Read More!" to "Don't click here."
Duggar Mania coming soon
Out here, the Discovery Health Channel will be playing "Fourteen Children and Pregnant Again" tomorrow night. Karen and I will get to see the Duggar swarm for ourselves. Needless to say, if I see anything bloggable, you'll be the first to know. Think I've already milked the Duggar cow dry? (I love that image.) Think again. Look at what Rodney Dangerfield did with respect. D.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

maybe I'll do duggar sex for my last entry into your contest.

hmm
naahhhhh.

10/18/2005 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

Okay, Doug--my original came in at exactly 200 words in MS Word, but to be on the safe side I took out two words. :-) This revised version comes in at 198 words:


After waxing the racing stripes on my woody, she buffed my chassis with hands as smooth as a chamois. I compensated by adjusting her headlights and performing a tune-up, revving her engine until it purred. Her wheels flanking my underbody, I inserted my dipstick to make sure she was sufficiently lubed, then scoped out her spark plugs with my diagnostic tool. She lost all cruise control then, begging for more torque and increased acceleration, pushing me beyond the speed limit with a flagrant disregard for improved gas mileage. No problem with my 6-speed manual transmission. I greased her rear spoiler before she clamped her fenders around my exhaust outlet. I almost lost it while tailgating her, but managed to keep my tire properly inflated. I shifted into gear, applying my hydraulic clutch, which sent her anti-lock braking system into overdrive. Traction control became difficult with all the skidding and fishtailing. Then our radiators started to steam so we flipped on the defoggers. When her bucket seat lurched, I ratcheted her safety belt as my rod pistoned her battery. I thrust into fourth gear with a powerful gas emission, blew my horn, and burned rubber across the finish line.

10/18/2005 07:47:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

I guess Word Perfect and MS Word define word count differently ;o) Thanks, Daisy.

10/18/2005 07:52:00 PM  
Blogger Gabriele Campbell said...

Doug, I have that problem with the "read more" feature, too. I just kept it (it's very small letters in my template) and in case I use it for long entries I add "click below to red more" in the text.

I'm not happy with it but didn't find a way to improve it.

10/19/2005 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Thanks, Gabriele. So it's not just me!

10/19/2005 12:17:00 PM  
Blogger Pat J said...

"Read More"? Can you point me at the instructions page? I'll see what kind of CSS voodoo I can do for you...

gxiqjzcx,

-pat

10/19/2005 03:20:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Hi Pat,

See the other Pat (Pat Kirby's) post in blog entry above. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm hoping that will solve my probs.

Thanks.

10/19/2005 04:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm researching for My desires and this on This is important! is useful so thanks Douglas Hoffman. Anny

11/18/2005 01:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home