Saturday, April 23, 2005

We be jammin'

Today, I worked on the novel until just after noon, extending one scene and finishing a second, particularly difficult one. 1500 words in all, which makes this an above-average writing day. I also managed to get down to the gym (four times this week!) AND did a bunch of shopping up in Oregon. Dinner tonight: spanakopita and bastilla. Gotta use all that phyllo dough; it turns to dust in the fridge. Thanks to Crystal for turning me on to Apple iTunes. I've stayed away from music downloads for years; as an author-wannabe, I've had no desire to violate another artist's copyright. (Hey, did you catch that? Another.) But iTunes is LEGAL. A buck a track, and they give you some nifty software for free. Here's my first CD, a big 80s / big 90s compilation: Blue Monday - New Order It's a Mug's Game - Soft Cell Mirror In the Bathroom - The English Beat How Soon Is Now? - t.A.T.u. Heroes - David Bowie Cities in Dust - Siouxsie and The Banshees Fire and Ice - Pat Benatar Gone Daddy Gone - Violent Femmes Tears of a Clown - The English Beat Hand in Glove - The Smiths Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell Precious - Pretenders Pretty In Pink - The Psychedelic Furs Mirror In the Bathroom - The English Beat Behind The Wheel - Depeche Mode Blister in the Sun - Violent Femmes Yes, I burned Mirror in the Bathroom twice. It's that good. Are there some omissions here? A few. No B52s, Boomtown Rats, or Madness. No Clash (intentionally -- I got tired of them in the dorms), no Talking Heads, no Chicago. (Hee hee. Just wanted to see if you were paying attention.) Next time around, I'll leave out Bowie's Heroes. Good song, but it just doesn't fit. Now, Crystal, I ask you: looking at a list like this, don't you feel a bit like my facilitator? For the folks: relatively more recent photo of Jake below. This picture is only four years old. Cheers, kids. D.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jona said...

I couldn't figure out how to leave a comment without creating a blog. Having spent fifteen frustrating minutes trying to think of a URL that no one else has bagged, you can now find me at 'doIbloodycare'!! And I've forgotten what I was going to say! Oh yes, check out 'The Squeeze' I think you'll like 'em :o)

debi

p.s. Now I have two blogs (the other being at the other writers' site)-- thanks, Doug -- twice the guilt that I never have anything to say!

4/24/2005 09:44:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Hi Debi. Sorry about turning you into a double bloggerer. I checked out The Squeeze, and all I can say is . . . gawd, Debi, a boy band?

Just kiddin'. I'm looking forward to your reaction to Chapter 45 . . . nervously looking forward to it. See ya.

4/24/2005 04:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home