Sunday, April 10, 2005

Sin City, yeah!

Karen and I went to see Sin City this afternoon. We left Jake behind, which turned out to be a good thing -- way too violent for him. Almost way too violent for me. I didn't do a Joe Bob Briggs-style amputation- or decapitation-count, but it was up there. Fortunately, none of it was particularly realistic. Good stuff, however. I can't think of a movie which captures the look and feel of a graphic novel quite as well as Sin City . . . The Crow comes close. Not a great writing weekend. I've done a fair bit of critting for others, and a lot of thinking about my prologue. Lev has given me a lot to chew on. Leading with my villains has thrown more than a couple of people, so I may go back to an older version of the prologue where I opened with one of my protag, and quickly segued into my villains -- first, clearly identifying them as such. That dumbs it down a bit, but clarity is paramount. D

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat J said...

Yeah, I saw it last week. I was a big fan of the graphic novels (I've read Sin City (the Marv segment in the movie), A Dame to Kill For (unfilmed as yet), and The Big Fat Kill (Dwight's tale)), and the movie was almost shot-for-scene from the comics. It was amazing. Gruesome, big, ugly, twice as large as life and four times nastier. I will be going again, and soon, before it leaves my little city/town.

Nice blog, btw. You're sure as hell posting more often than I do...

-pat

4/10/2005 09:33:00 PM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Hi Pat,

Re: posting more often. That way I don't have to actually do something like write.

See ya,

Doug

4/11/2005 09:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home